Sunday, October 25, 2009

ACTFL Poster Presentation and Handout (Thanks, Inkscape!)

I spent the time this weekend working on my poster presentation for the upcoming ACTFL Conference, which will be held 20-22 November in San Diego, California. I will be chairing a panel at the conference, presenting my own paper, and also doing a poster presentation: Should make for a busy and exhilarating couple of days. I've been several times to San Diego, so the thrill of going to a new city for a conference won't be there, but next year's ACTFL will be in Boston, where I have never been; I should start making plans to attend. I played around with several different graphics programs, including Fireworks and GIMP, before I finally found Inkscape. Fireworks didn't seem to fit my purposes, and for some reason was running too slow on my computer, and GIMP is more for photos. I didn't want to spend the money on Illustrator, so I gave Inkscape a try. I was impressed with the ease of use and the wide range of options available. Making a 48 in. x 48 in. poster was a cinch, and I was even able to export a .png file with a 300 dpi resolution, which I can take to the printer, in a matter of seconds. Here is a smaller version of the file for the Web:

And here is the handout for the poster presentation (also with Inkscape):

Coming up soon: The slides for the panel presentation (alas, with PowerPoint).

No comments:

Post a Comment